2006 News



The Under 14’s suffered an agonising one point defeat to Arravale Rovers in the county football semi final last Saturday. Our team gave a very committed performance but had to give best to a good Arravle Rovers side.  Final score Durlas Óg 3-2 Arravale Rovers 1-9.


Mid Bord na nÓg match report –


Durlas Óg…………………. …5-2

Gortnahoe-Glengoole……….  4-3

Durlas Óg came out on top in a thrilling nine goal Clodagh Construction Mid Under 14 ‘A’ Football final at The Ragg on Bank Holiday Monday. 

It was Gortnahoe who got off to the better start with Michael Rafter kicking an early point.  The same player was on hand in the 5th minute to finish to the net after the Durlas Óg defence failed to clear its lines. Durlas Óg replied immediately with David Corbett setting up full forward, Gary Lanigan for a goal. Philip Purcell kicked a point to level the match.  Gortnahoe got back on top with Michael Rafter causing all sorts of problems for the Thurles defence.  This exceptional player kicked a point and he then expertly converted a penalty to increase his team’s lead.  Full forward, Jackie Moriarty had another Gortnahoe goal and Rafter added a point from a free to give his side a 3-3 to 1-1 with seven minutes of the half remaining.  Durlas Óg had a storming finish to the half with David Corbett adding a goal and Christy Burke kicking a point to leave four points (3-3 to 2-2) between the sides at the interval.

There were no scores in the opening ten minutes of the second half with both teams missing chances and kicking some bad wides.  After a period of dominance by the Thurles side they were awarded a penalty but Gary Lanigan’s kick was excellently saved by Michael Rafter who stepped into goals for the kick. However Lanigan was not to be denied two minutes later when he got on the end of a high ball to hit a powerful shot to the net to leave the minimum between the teams with ten minutes remaining.  More goals were to follow.  First David Corbett goaled for the Thurles boys following good approach play by Philip Purcell and Gary Lanigan.  Almost immediately that man again, Michael Rafter, broke through the Thurles defence and rifled a powerful kick to the net to restore his team’s one point lead (4-3 to 4-2).  Durlas Óg came in search of an equaliser and squandered some good opportunities before full forward, Gary Lanigan scored his third goal to put his side in front for only the second time in the match. Gortnahoe attacked but Durlas Óg withstood the challenge and held on for victory.

This was a remarkable match with plenty of goals and many other missed opportunities.  One had to feel for Michael Rafter who scored 3-3 and yet finished on the losing team.  Durlas Óg will play Arravale Rovers in the county semi final on Saturday.

Teams and scorers:

Durlas Óg: Brian O’Connor; Jamie Stapleton, James Ryan, Mark Beresford; Sean Moroney, Aidan McCormack, Michael O’Dwyer; Patrick Dunne, Paraic Crone; Mark Shannon, Philip Purcell (0-1), Christy Burke (0-1); David Corbett (2-0), Gary Lanigan (3-0), Mark Lanigan.  Substitutes: Kevin Smith, James Lyons, Tomas Hewitt, Denis Moore.

Gortnahoe-Glengoole: Timmy Dunne; Kyle Spellacy, Aidan Guilfoyle, Martin Barnaville; Mark Butler, Richie Power, David Slattery; Michael Rafter (3-3), David Dunne; Ciaran Purcell, Liam Lanigan, Kevin Slattery; Edwin Barnaville, Jackie Moriarty (1-0), Peter Cleary.  Substitutes: Robbie Dooley, Joseph Campion, Michael Maher, T.J. Mockler, Conor Fogarty, Colm Scott, Shane Harding, Killian Duggan, Thomas Lanigan, Paschal Norton, Michael Kilcourse, Liam Treacy.

Referee: Michael Jordan


Belated congratulations to the Under 14’s on retaining their Mid and County Feile na nGael titles following victories over Loughmore-Castleiney in the Mid final and Clonmel Óg in the County final.  They will now go forward to represent Tipperary in the All Ireland finals in Cork on 16th, 17th and 18th June 2006.  The Feile panel is: -

Patrick Dunne (Captain), Sean Moroney, Philip Purcell, Kyle Loughman, Mark Lanigan, Darragh Ronayne, James Lyons, Kevin Smith, Paraic Crone, Ciaran Dowd, Greg Cully, Aidan McCormack, Tomas Hewitt, Colin Shorley, Paul Morrissey, Christy Burke, Mark Shannon, John Stakelum, David Corbett, Mossie McCormack, Jamie Stapleton, Michael O’Dwyer, Darragh Mulcaire, Mark Beresford, James Ryan, Denis Moore, Allan Butler, Shane Butler, Paul Maher, Eoghan Leahy, Alex Dorney, Stephen Kennedy, Brian O’Connor, Niall McGovern, Stephen Hackett.

See Mid and County Bord na nÓg match reports hereunder:


Durlas Óg retained their Mid Feile na nGael title following a convincing win over Loughmore-Castleiney at The Ragg on Thursday evening.  The Thurles boys dominated the early exchanges and raced into a 1-5 to nil lead inside twelve minutes.  Loughmore came back into the game and scored 1-2 to reduce the deficit.  However Durlas Óg finished the half the stronger scoring a further 1-2 to leave the half time score Durlas Óg 2-7 Loughmore-Castleiney 1-2.

The Thurles side scored three goals in the opening seven minutes of the second half and there was no way back for the Loughmore boys.  To their credit Loughmore-Castleiney never gave up and they tried their hardest up to the final whistle.  It was Durlas Og’s night and they recorded their fifth Mid Feile na nGael title in a row.

After the match Rody Lowry, Chairman of Mid Bord na nÓg presented the trophy to the Durlas Óg captain, Patrick Dunne. Thanks to Jimmy Coppinger who once again sponsored this competition

The teams lined out as follows:

Durlas Óg: Kevin Smith, John Stakelum, Padraic Crone, Colin Shorley, David Corbett, Patrick Dunne, Ciaran Dowd, Sean Moroney, Darragh Ronayne, James Ryan, Aidan McCormack, Greg Cully, Mark Shannon, Philip Purcell, Mark Lanigan.

Loughmore-Castleiney: Patrick Nolan, Tommy Maher, Aaron Sweeney, Darragh Butler, Lorcan Egan, Tomas McGrath, Joseph Hennessy, John Maher, Liam Treacy, Padraic Egan, John McGrath, Padraic Hennessy, Kevin O’Connell, Liam McGarth, Eamonn McGrath.

Referee: Michael Jordan.


Durlas Óg …………… 4-7

Clonmel Óg……………0-1

Durlas Óg proved too strong for Clonmel Óg in the Feile na nGael county final at Dr. Morris Park, Thurles on Saturday.  Two goals in less than a minute in the closing stages of the first half laid the foundation for the Thurles side to go on to retain their title.

The early exchanges were keenly contested with excellent hurling being played by both sides.  Durlas Óg had wind advantage in this half but it took them a long time to get into their stride and break through a resolute Clonmel Óg defence. Michael O’Dwyer opened the scoring for the Thurles side in the 4th minute but Clonmel struck back immediately when following a good move Shane Hogan found himself with only the goalie to beat but his shot went inches over the bar for a point. Midway through the half Durlas Óg held a 1-1 to 0-1 lead.  Their goal came in the 8th minute when corner forward, Mark Lanigan finished to the back of the net following a Darragh Ronayne free from the half way line.  Impressive centre forward, Aidan McCormack added three points from play to increase Durlas Óg’s lead.  Clonmel Óg were still well in the match with Dean Horton, Shane Taylor, Ross Mullane and Michael O’Brien causing many problems but they squandered some good scoring opportunities.  However disaster struck a minute before the interval when first Christy Burke and then Mark Lanigan had goals for the Thurles side to leave the half time score Durlas Óg 3-4 Clonmel Óg 0-1.

Clonmel Óg needed a good start to the second half but the Thurles boys remained in control with Darragh Ronayne and Sean Moroney dominating at midfield and their defence ably lead by Patrick Dunne and James Ryan dealing capable with any Clonmel Óg attack.  Durlas Óg added a further 1-3 in this half with Philip Purcell who had a very influential game at full forward scoring 1-2, his goal coming with two minutes remaining.

It was a great achievement for Durlas Óg to retain their title and they will now represent Tipperary in the All Ireland Feile na nGael finals in Cork on 16th, 17th and 18th June.  Durlas Óg had to go to extra time to defeat Clonoulty-Rossmore in the semi final.  This was a great match with the Thurles side scoring two late points to bring the match to extra time (2-8 to 3-5).  They held Clonoulty scoreless in extra time and added three points to win by 2-11 to 3-5.

Clonmel Óg were disappointed at the final whistle as they are a much better team than the scoreline suggests.  They were very impressive in their semi final victory over North champions, Kilruane MacDonaghs where they scored some excellent points to win on a scoreline of 1-11 to 2-3. 

Teams and scorers were:

Durlas Óg: K. Smith; J. Stakelum, P. Crone, C. Shorley; D. Corbett, P. Dunne, J. Ryan; S. Moroney, D. Ronayne; M. Shannon, A. McCormack (0-4), M. O’Dwyer (0-1); C. Burke (1-0), P. Purcell (1-2), M. Lanigan (2-0).  Subs: G. Cully for C. Burke; M. Beresford for M. O’Dwyer; C. Dowd for J. Stakelum; K. Loughman for M. Shannon.

Clonmel Óg: S. Barrett; M. Ahearn, E. Power, D. Kearney; J. Hennessy, D. Horton, D. Bennett; S. Taylor, R. Mullane; G. Slater, S. Fagan, A. Barry; S. O’Connell, M. O’Brien, S. Hogan (0-1).

Referee: John Quinlan


Both our Under 12 ‘A’ and ‘B’ teams suffered defeat in their Mid Football finals recently.  Our ‘A’ team lost to Loughmore-Castleiney in the ‘A’ final while the ‘B’ team had to give best to Clonakenny in the ‘C’ final.  Well done to the players and mentors on reaching the finals and they will now turn their attention to the hurling championship.

Mid Bord na nÓg match reports -


Loughmore-Castleiney…….  3-4

Durlas Óg ………………….  1-2

Loughmore-Castleiney completed a magnificent five in a row of titles when they proved too strong for Durlas Óg in the Clodagh Construction Under 12 ‘A’ football final at The Ragg on Monday.  Despite playing against the strong breeze in the first half Loughmore led by one point at the break.  They held their opponents scoreless in the second half as they marched on to yet another title.

Durlas Óg started brightly and with wind advantage they dominated the early exchanges.  They opened the scoring with an Aidan Ryan point in the 3rd minute and they then wasted some good scoring opportunities kicking three wides inside the first ten minutes. Loughmore struck with two killer blows midway through the half when first John McGrath and then Brian McGrath hit the back of the Thurles net. Durlas Óg finished the half strongly with Peter Coman coming up from his centre back position to kick a point and a minute before the half time whistle Aidan Ryan got on the end of a high ball to punch to the back of the net to leave his side trailing by one point at the interval (2-0 to 1-2).  The Thurles boys were unlucky not to be leading at the break as corner forward, Shane McCormack saw his goal bound shot come back off the foot of the post with the goalie beaten.

Loughmore upped the tempo in the second half and inside three minutes full forward, Paul Morris scored a delightful goal. Points followed from John McGrath who had an outstanding match, Paul Morris and Denis Brereton to give the title holders a 3-3 to 1-2 lead with ten minutes remaining.  Durlas Óg had a great chance to reduce the deficit when they were awarded a penalty following a foul on Shane McCormack.  Conor Lanigan’s penalty kick was excellently saved by Joseph Nyland who took over the goalkeeping duties for the kick.  Loughmore completed the scoring with a John McGrath pointed free in the closing minutes to run out worthy winners for the fifth year in a row.

Teams and scorers:

Loughmore-Castleiney: Gillian Gleeson; John Connolly, Tommy Maher, Evan Egan; Martin Meagher, Jospeh Hennessy, Noel O’Connell; Joseph Nyland, Lorcan Egan; Denis Brereton (0-1), John McGrath (1-2), Joseph Hayden; Aoife McGrath, Paul Morris (1-1), Brian McGrath (1-0).  Substitutes: Keith Manton, Mark Butler, Robert O’Connell, Kevin Maher, Sam Allen, Brendan Leahy, Ann Eviston, Kieran Maher, Peter Nyland, Edel Nyland, Liam Gleeson, Diarmuid Meagher, Arlene McGrath, Niamh Treacy, Caoimhe Egan, David Ryan, Fionn O Riain Broin, Cian O Riann Broin.

Durlas Óg: Stephen Ryan; Brian Ryan, Cathal Ryan, Padraig Phelan; Caley Maher, Peter Coman (0-1), Nicky Irwin; Aidan Doyle, Rory Dwan; Tom Meehan, Aidan Ryan (1-1), Stephen Cahill; Tom Tierney, Conor Lanigan, Shane McCormack. Substitutes: Jack Lineen, Ronan Maher, Kevin Dunne.

Referee: Patsy Ralph


Clonakenny…………………. …3-4

Durlas Óg ‘B’………………….  1-4

A storming finish that yielded 1-2 in the final three minutes helped Clonakenny to capture the Hayes Hotel Under 12 ‘C’ football title against Durlas Óg ‘B’ at Castleiney on Saturday. This was a most entertaining and very competitive match with the result in doubt up until the final minutes.

Durlas Óg who had the advantage of the strong breeze in the first half got off to the worst possible start when straight from the throw in Clonakenny won possession and worked the ball into John Joe Ryan who finished to the net.  The Thurles side took a long time to settle and in the 10th minute Ryan at centre forward for Clonakenny who was causing many problems got his second goal when his high shot from 30 metres found the back of the net.  At this stage William Costigan was dominating at centre back for Clonakenny and they were also on top at midfield where Paul Bergin was winning much possession. Durlas Óg made some positional switches and they gradually got into the match. They finished the half impressively with wing forward, Brendan O’Loughlin kicking two delightful points and further points from Graham Maher and substitute, Dylan Bourke left two points between the sides at the break (2-0 to 0-4).  The Thurles boys were unfortunate not to be leading at the interval as Clonakenny’s goalie, Craig Tracey made a great save to deny corner forward, Graham Maher.

Clonakenny opened the scoring in the second half with Diarmuid Ryan kicking a point and this was followed by a brilliant save from the Durlas Óg goalie, Patrick Brennan to deny Liam Quigley a certain goal.  This save inspired the Thurles boys and with Brian Hanrahan and Billy McCarthy dominating in defence they took the game to Clonakenny. Dylan Bourke was most unlucky to see his shot go inches wide of the post following a good attacking move.  However the same player was rewarded minutes later when following sustained Durlas Óg pressure he found the net to leave the sides level at 2-1 to 1-4 with ten minutes remaining.  The stage was set for a grandstand finish as both teams went in search of the winning scores to secure the title.  John Joe Ryan pointed a free for Clonakenny to edge them in front.   Durlas Óg fought back but their effort went narrowly wide.  There was still only one point between the sides when with three minutes remaining Clonakenny’s full forward, John O’Meara deflected John Joe Ryan’s pass to the net for what proved to be the winning score.  This was followed by a point from John Joe Ryan who had an outstanding match and a further point from Diarmuid Ryan with the last kick of the game gave Clonakenny a flattering six point winning margin. 

Teams and scorers:

Clonakenny: Craig Treacy; Brendan Russell, Padraig Nesbitt; Brian Shanahan, William Costigan, Rody Quigley; Paul Bergin, Paul Crampton; Kevin Carr, John Joe Ryan (2-2), Diarmuid Ryan (0-2); John O’Meara (1-0), Liam Quigley.  Substitutes: Eoin Nesbitt, Conor Shanahan, De Lacy Byrne, Caroline King, Cathal Stapleton, Bridget Greed, Niall Maher, Eoin Bourke, Jack Smyth.

Durlas Óg ‘B’: Patrick Brennan; Brian Hanrahan, Eric Yeung; Tony O’Brien, Billy McCarthy, Jack O’Connell; Kevin Fanning, Sean Butler; Patrick Carroll, Shane Slattery, Brendan O’Loughlin (0-2); Adam Garrett, Graham Maher (0-1). Substitutes: Dylan Bourke (1-1), Dara Coffey, Sean Wade, Eoin Barrett, Matthew Fogarty, Tommy Barrett.

Referee: Tim Leahy


There was a very large attendance for the presentation on the Code of Best Practice for Youth Sport that was held in the Clubhouse on Tuesday night.  Thanks to Aoife Maher, Mid Youth Officer and John Smith for their excellent presentation that was very well received.


Our Under 10’s represented the Club in the St. Patrick’s Day Parade.  Thanks to the players and mentors for their participation.


Congratulations to John McDonnell and Joe Fewer who were recent winners in the Tipperary G.A.A. Draw.


The Annual General Meeting was held in the Clubhouse last Friday (13th January) before a very large attendance.  Mass was celebrated by our Chaplain, Fr. Joe Walsh prior to the meeting.

Chairman, John Smith, in his address welcomed everybody to the meeting and he had a special welcome for those in attendance for the first time.  He said it was another great year for the club and he congratulated all the victorious teams.  He thanked all those behind the scenes who worked extremely hard to ensure the smooth running of the club. As he was stepping down as Chairman he extended his thanks to everybody for their co-operation and support and he wished the incoming officers and committee the very best in the years ahead.  John was thanked for his major contribution to the club as Chairman over the last six years.

Andy Ryan in his well documented Secretary’s Report outlined the progress of all teams during the year and gave details of all events in the Club during 2005.  He was complimented on his detailed report and the great work he done as Secretary during the year.

Treasurer, Ger Donnelly, once again produced a very comprehensive Financial Report.  Ger who was not seeking re-election as Treasurer was thanked for his excellent management of the Club’s financial affairs.

Tom Meehan was elected as Chairman and Liam McCarthy as Treasurer. 

The adjourned A.G.M. will be held on Friday 27th January at 8.00 p.m.

The following Officers were elected:

 President :Pat Stakelum
 Vice-Presidents: Michael Carroll; Michael Murphy; Larry O’Connor; Jimmy Coppinger, Gerry Spain
 Life Vice Presidents:Br. Keane; Br. Higgins; Fr. O’Rourke; Dick Callanan; Michael Kennedy, Jim Dwyer
 Chairman:Tom Meehan
 Vice Chairman:Sean Costelloe; Martin Doyle, Ger Sammon and John Smith
 Secretary:Andy Ryan
 Treasurer: Liam McCarthy
 Assistant Treasurer: Ger Donnelly
 Co. Board Draw Co-Ordinator:Ger Donnelly
 Registrar:  Ger Sammon
 P.R.O.:  Jim Ryan
 Schools Liaison Officer:Paddy Moore
 Caretaker:  Pat Callaghan