Club History‎ > ‎

Memorable First Year

Durlas Óg got off to an auspicious start in their first year winning one county and three Mid titles. Mid titles were won in Under 12 football, Under 12 hurling and Under 14 football and the Under 12’s rounded off a memorable year by capturing the county hurling title.


We fielded ten teams in 1979 in Bord na nÓg competitions – two Under12, two Under 14 and one Under 16 in both codes.  Leagues were organised as preparation for the championships and these were very keenly contested. 


Under 12 football

The first Mid title to come to the club was the Under 12 football.  The final against Moycarkey-Borris was played at Semple Stadium with Tom McGrath as referee.  Durlas Óg had the advantage of the wind and sun in the first half and led by 2-4 to nil at half time. A great rally by the losers in the second half brought two goals but Durlas Óg came back with further scores to pull away at the finish by 3-8 to 2-0. Prominent players for the winners were Tom Sullivan, Paul Murphy, Seamus O’Shea, Seamus Devaney and Darragh Purcell. Arravale Rovers were defeated in the county semi final and our final opponents were Clonmel Commercials.  The final was played at Golden on 15th July and we had to bow to the superior footballing side from the south on a final score of Commercials 4-6 Durlas Óg 2-2.


Under 12 hurling

The Under 12’s completed a Mid double when the hurlers defeated Templemore Eire Óg after a replay.  The sides finished level at 3-0 each and it was back to Semple Stadium again for the replay on 30th June.  Like the drawn game this proved to be a ding dong struggle with hardly a puck of the ball between two fine sides. When after having a stiff breeze in our favour we could only show a goal lead, it looked as if the holders, Templemore, would keep their title.  Despite constant pressure in the second period, however, they could not get past the man of the match, Lar Mullaney, in goal, and were still that vital goal (2-1 to 1-1) behind when referee Billy O’Grady blew full time whistle.


Semple Stadium was the venue for the county semi final against Kilruane MacDonaghs and we scored a 3-5 to 1-2 win to set up a county final against St. Mary’s. The final was played at Golden on 20th July and it was rather one sided.  The Tipperary Star reported as follows:

This game, played on a well prepared and organised Golden pitch on Friday evening last, displayed tremendous skills for youth of this age while the contest was not too close, it was well contested throughout.

Dúrlas Óg, playing with the wind in the first half, had a comfortable 3 - 2 to nil lead at half time. Heavy rain just before half time delayed the restart and hampered conditions for the second half. St. Mary's played their best hurling in this half and great defensive work by Dúrlas Óg thwarted their every effort.

This was a great team effort by Dúrlas Óg and goalie L. Mullaney had a great game and he was ably assisted by S. O'Shea, D. Purcell, G. Kerrigan, J. Ryan, A. Rossiter, G. Mockler, C. Carroll, T. Sullivan and S. Devaney.

Dúrlas Óg scorers: G. Mockler 1 - 1; A. Rossiter and C. Carroll 1 - 0 each; T. Sullivan 0 - 1.

Dúrlas Óg: L. Mullaney, G. Kerrigan, S. O'Shea, G. Doyle, T. O'Mara, D. Purcell, G. O'Brien, A. Rossiter, T. Sullivan, M. Shaughnessy, S. Devaney, J. Ryan, C. Carroll, S. Gleeson, G. Mockler.
Subs: P. Murphy, S. Maher, N. Ryan, C. Moriarty.

There were jubilant scenes on our return to Thurles as we brought the first county juvenile title back to town since 1965.

Durlas Og County Under 12 Hurling Champions 1979
Back Row (l. to r.): Conor Moriarty, Gerry Doyle, George Shaughnessy, Andy Rossiter, Seamus O'Shea, Shane Gleeson, Seamus Devaney, Denis Shanahan, Tom Sullivan, Ciaran Carroll, Timmy Ryan, Jim Woodlock.
Front Row (l. to r.): Ger Kerrigan, Tony O'Mara, Laurence Mullaney, Ger Mockler, Darragh Purcell, Ger O'Brien, Mark Shaughnessy, Joe Loughnane, Ronan Keher

Under 14 football
The Under 14’s made it three Mid titles in 1979 when they easily accounted for Templemore Eire Óg in the final. Three Durlas Óg goals at the start of the game proved crucial and Templemore could never afterwards catch up.  The game was over long before the full time whistle. Final score Durlas Óg 7-4 Templemore Eire Óg 1-4. We were defeated by Nenagh Eire Óg in the county semi final.

First Annual General Meeting

The first Annual General Meeting was held in Scoil Ailbhe on Thursday 25th October 1979. Chairman, Bro. Higgins in the course of his address said he was amazed how much success had been achieved in such a short space of time and this he felt was due to the very hard work of a very active and interested group of people. He went on to say that the success of the club should not be judged on the number of trophies on the sideboard but rather by the numbers of boys playing the games and the interest that the club generated within the community. Tommy O’Dowd produced a detailed Secretary’s Report and Treasurer, Phil O’Mara showed a surplus for the year of £158.02.  All the outgoing officers were re-elected with the exception of President, Bro. Lombard who was transferred from Scoil Ailbhe during the year.  Pat Stakelum was elected President on the proposal of Michael Murphy and seconded by Br. Keane.