County Under 14 'A' Football Final

Durlas Óg ……………....1-4 
Eire Óg (Nenagh)…….. 0-5

The Under 14 ‘A’ county football final was played in Semple Stadium on Monday evening (7th July) between two very evenly matched teams. It could be classed as a game of two halves. Eire Óg played with the wind in the first half and they dominated in the middle of the field but found scoring difficult against a very solid Durlas Óg defence. However in the course of the first half the Nenagh side scored five unanswered points to give them a good interval lead. Some positional changes and some harsh words by our mentors at the break had the desired effect in the second half. Stephen Dorney and John Joe Bourke were the new midfield pairing with Padraic Maher at centre forward and Kevin O’Gorman at full back. We began to gain more possession in the middle of field and give good ball to our forwards. Inside the first ten minutes of the half Padraic Maher had scored three points (2 from frees) to leave just two points between the teams. Eire Óg responded but were unable to find a way through our tight marking defence. With five minutes remaining Stephen Dorney gained possession some twenty metres from the Nenagh goal and soloed through and hit an unstoppable shot to the roof of the net to give us the lead for the first time. We defended magnificently for the remaining minutes and a great passing movement set up Damien Grimes for a great point to seal victory on the score Durlas Óg 1-4 Eire Óg 0-5. 
The was a very sweet victory by a team that never gave up and their second half display will be remembered for a very long time. A proud Durlas Óg captain, Stephen Dorney was presented with the cup by County Bord na nÓg Vice Chairman, Michael Lonergan.

All our players were heroes on the night. Sean Moloney never put a foot wrong in goals. Brian Callanan was outstanding at corner back and got better as the match went on. Kevin O’Gorman was a tower of strength on the edge of the square while Shane Maher had no problem switching from attack to defence for the final and played his normal steady game. Laurence Bourke was solid at centre back and Patrick Leahy and Jonathan Shannon on the wings were strong and dependable especially in the second half. The mid field pairing of John Joe Bourke and Stephen Dorney in the second half dominated their area and deprived the Nenagh side of good possession. John Joe Bourke used his physical strength to good effect and set up many attacks while Stephen Dorney’s goal and his all round performance and leadership inspired the team. Padraic Maher had a great second half at centre forward and got some vital scores. Michael McGrath was always dangerous on the edge of the square. Kieran Morris and Damien Grimes combined well on the right flank of the attack and showed some lovely skills. Rodney Mason battled hard all through and Kieran O’Shea despite an injury gave it his very best and his replacement, Liam Cullen, who came on late in the game won some vital frees. All the other panel members are to be commended for their efforts throughout the season.

Scorers: Padraic Maher 0-3 (2 from frees), Stephen Dorney 1-0, Damien Grimes 0-1.

Durlas Óg: Sean Moloney, Brian Callanan, Stephen Dorney, Kevin O’Gorman, Patrick Leahy, Laurence Bourke, Shane Maher, Jonathan Shannon, Padraic Maher, Kieran Morris, John Joe Bourke, Ciaran O’Shea, Damien Grimes, Michael McGrath, Rodney Mason. Subs: Liam Cullen for Ciaran O’Shea, Brian Stakelum, Darragh Stakelum, Sean Smith, Darren O’Neill, John Shortt, Philip Cullen, Bobby Stakelum, Conor Ryan, James Collins. Michael Cahill and Bill McCormack were unavailable for the final.

The team mentors were John Dorney, Fr. Joe Walsh, Michael Kennedy, Michael Gleeson and John Cahill.

 County Under 14 'A' Hurling Final


Durlas Óg ………………...3-6 
Nenagh Eire Óg ………….2-9

The County U/14 ‘A’ final played in Dolla on Sunday 21st September was a repeat of this years Feile na nGael and u/14 ‘A’ football finals. Both sides were very familiar with each other and another epic match was anticipated. The Nenagh lads got off to a dream start with a goal inside the first minute. Padraic Maher replied with three well taken points to have the scores level after six minutes. A further three points by Nenagh to our solitary point by Michael McGrath left the score Nenagh Eire Óg 1-3 Durlas Óg 0-4 with five minutes of the first half remaining. As the interval approached we took the lead for the first time with a great goal by our captain, John Joe Bourke. The lead was short lived as almost immediately Nenagh went in front again when a long range free went all the way to the net. Michael Cahill scored a point in injury time to leave us trailing by a goal at half time (2-5 to 1-5). Nenagh opened the scoring in the second half with a point in the 5th minute. Padraic Maher replied with a pointed free and then Rodney Mason rattled the net to level the match (2-6 each) with ten minutes remaining. The Nenagh lads once again responded with three unanswered points and they looked like winners. However we never gave up and with time almost up following a good movement Michael Cahill hit an unstoppable shot to the Nenagh net to level the match. The full time whistle soon followed and it would take another match to decide the destination of the John Flanagan Cup for 2003.

Durlas Óg: Bill McCormack; John Shortt; Kevin O’Gorman; Shane Maher; Patrick Leahy; Stephen Dorney; Jonathan Shannon; Michael Cahill (1-1); Laurence Burke; Michael Keane; John Joe Bourke (1-0); Michael McGrath (0-1); Rodney Mason (1-0); Padraic Maher (0-4); Damien Grimes. Subs: Denis Maher; Ciaran O’Shea; Brian Callanan; Kieran Morris; Liam Cullen; Barry McCormack.

 County Under 14 'A' Hurling Final Replay

Nenagh Eire Óg ……..3-7
Durlas Óg ……………..1-6

The eagerly awaited replay took centre stage in Holycross on last Sunday evening (28th September) before a very large attendance. Both sides took time to settle and we opened the scoring with a Michael McGrath point in the 7th minute and this was followed by a Padraic Maher free three minutes later. Nenagh scored a vital goal in the 12th minute and this was quickly followed by a point to give them the lead (1-1 to 0-2). Padraic Maher added two points and then John Joe Bourke scored a brilliant goal to give us a 1-4 to 1-1 lead. Almost on the half time whistle Nenagh replied with a goal to level the match (1-4 to 2-1). Nenagh started the second half in impressive fashion scoring 1-2 without reply inside the first five minutes. We tried very hard to get back into the match and points by Padraic Maher and Michael Cahill closed the gap. However it was Nenagh who finished the half the stronger scoring four further points without reply to leave the final score Nenagh Eire Óg 3-7 Durlas Óg 1-6. Our boys were most disappointed at the final whistle but they were the first to congratulate Nenagh on a great victory. The under 14’s have had a great year winning five Mid titles, county Feile na nGael and county under 14 football titles as well as finishing runners up in the All Ireland Feile na Gael final. We congratulate them on their excellent year and thank the players and their mentors, Michael Gleeson, John Dorney, Michael Kennedy, Fr. Joe Walsh and John Cahill for their efforts throughout a long season. Many thanks to all our supporters who were in attendance at the replay and special thanks to all those responsible for the reception in the Clubhouse on our return from Holycross on Sunday night.

Durlas Óg: Bill McCormack; John Shortt; Kevin O’Gorman; Shane Maher; Patrick Leahy; Stephen Dorney; Jonathan Shannon; Michael Cahill (0-1); Laurence Burke; Michael Keane; John Joe Bourke (1-0); Michael McGrath (0-1); Rodney Mason; Padraic Maher (0-4); Kieran Morris. Subs: Denis Maher; Ciaran O’Shea; Brian Callanan; Damien Grimes; Liam Cullen; Barry McCormack.