Latest News‎ > ‎

Durlas Og wins County Feile na nGael Semi Final

posted Apr 26, 2012, 3:05 PM by Unknown user   [ updated Apr 27, 2012, 3:15 PM ]
Durlas Og defeated Clonoulty/Rossmore by 2-12 to 3-6 after extra time in a thrilling County Feile na nGael semi final at Pairc na nOg on Friday evening.  Well done to the players and their mentors on a great win.
Match Report by Joe Bracken, Mid Bord na nOg PRO

Durlas Óg 2-12 Clonoulty-Rossmore 3-06 (aet)

A cold but dry Friday evening in Pairc na nÓg was majestically warmed up by an enthralling Féile county semi-final between host club Dúrlas Óg and Clonoulty-Rossmore to decide who would go forward to the final proper. Both teams went at this one hammer and thongs from the off and such was the commitment and tenacity showed by all the players, that both sides left the field to rapturous applause from the spectators  in recognition of display they had just witnessed.
Both sides traded early points as they settled into it, before Durlas Óg tapped over two from Mark Purcell and Bill Darcy to give them the edge. The powerhouse play from Darcy and Harry Fitzgibbon for Durlas Óg was equally matched by Dylan Kennedy and Dylan Quirke for Clonoulty as the intensity grew. Then from a free, Dylan Kennedy launched a long missile to Cathal Bourke who got his second of the half just on half time to leave it 03 to 02 at the break.

Clonoulty-Rossmore sparked into life on the resumption and it wasn’t long before they hit the net through Aidan Lukeman to take control on the board and with Nicky “Babs” Kearns playing a blinder in goal the half was belonging to Clonoulty. As Durlas Óg added a brace to keep in touch Lukeman sold a beautiful swerve move to get inside his man before he hit the net for his second. When Bourke tapped over his third it put his side five in front with ten minutes to play.
Backs to the wall Durlas Óg took up the challenge with Darcy driving the reins. A long free downfield by him resulted in a twenty metre free as the centre forward was brought down. Darcy lined it up and duly rifled his shot to the net to leave two between them. With the adrenalin now flowing Durlas Óg were on a roll and with Darcy hitting over two points to force extra time, it was time to catch the breath. Score at end of normal time read 1-07 to 2-04.

As extra time commenced it would take a brave person to call it. First strike to Durlas Óg as Mark Purcell pointed but it was soon to be cancelled out by Cathal Bourke. Two late points in the half by Conor Stakelum had Durlas Óg ahead at the break in extra time 1-10 to 2-06, Dylan Quirke with the last point of the half.

So down to the wire, ten minutes to decide it and the killer blow was inflicted by Stakelum as he netted following up on a blocked goal bound shot from Purcell inside two minutes. With Darcy in sparkling form and helped by Keith O’Dwyer and Matthew Kelly Durlas Óg kept the tigerish Clonoulty-Rossmore side at bay where James Ryan, Nathan Slattery among others were taking up the mantle of saving this one. Frees from Darcy and Stakelum appeared to make Durlas Óg safe but in completing his hat trick of goals Aidan Lukeman ensured a nervous end for Durlas Óg. Time ran out though on a hugely impressive Clonoulty-Rossmore side as a driven Durlas Óg emerged victorious to go forward to the county final.

Final score 2-12 to 3-06.

Referee: Martin Ryan, Moyne-Templetuohy.