Latest News‎ > ‎

Match Report - Mid Under 14 'C' Football Final

posted Jun 2, 2013, 11:14 AM by Unknown user
Report by Joe Bracken, Mid Bord na nOg PRO

Murphy Office Supplies U14C Football Final

Durlas Óg 'B' 8-11 Clonakenny 7-01

In a high goal scoring contest in Drombane, Durlas Óg with the greater ability to take points, reversed the phrase of goals win matches, to ensure not alone goals but points were the order of the day as they overcame a stubborn Clonakenny side to capture this year’s title. The fine gathering present was treated to a spectacular feast of goals from both sides in an open and competitive contest. It’s not too often fans witness a hat-trick of goals in a game, but to see three in one game must present something of a record in recent times as Frank McKevitt for Durlas Óg and both Matthew O’Sullivan and Ben O’Carroll for Clonakenny all share this unique honour.

First blood to Clonakenny then, when O’Sullivan on collecting breaking ball from the throw in soloed his way through to hit the net inside the opening minute for his first of three, the goal fest was on. The dust had hardly settled when McKevitt did likewise at the opposite end for his first goal shooting from close range with Conor Murphy quickly following up with a point. O’Carroll restored parity for Clonakenny minutes later before a Durlas Óg rout in the next eight minutes by scoring five one without reply had their hands firmly on the cup. Great interplay from the Durlas Óg forwards gave the Clonakenny defence a torrid time of it, with McKevitt, Michael Mulcaire and Fred Crowley combining well to set up their inside forwards. Kevin Bracken began proceedings finding the left hand corner of the net after cutting in off the right before McKevitt completed his hat-trick by the seventh minute. Kieran Moloney was next to profit for Durlas Óg with two fine
goals as Mulcaire turned provider with Bracken to set up Moloney for his clinical finish.

Unperturbed, O’Carroll pulled Clonakenny right back into it when he carved open the Durlas Óg defence midway through the half to re-energise his side. Though Durlas Óg added a brace of points O’Carroll got his second four minutes from the break before Mulcaire rose a green flag of his own with McKevitt the provider this time. O’Carroll completed his hat-trick with another fine individual score to leave it 7-06 to 4-01 at the break.

Clonakenny brought Conor Nesbitt outfield for the second half and his tenacious display combined with the assistance of Cain Russell tightened up the midfield. Benefiting from this Clonakenny gained momentum and  by the fifth minute of the second half O’Sullivan had also completed his hat-trick, with his first of the half a fine goal, again the result of a solid run with his firm low ball giving the keeper no chance.  It was nip and tuck then for the next quarter before Durlas Óg eventually ground down their opposition, where O’Sullivan and O’Carroll were visibly tiring. The Durlas Óg defence was on top now as Ben Murphy and Dylan Costello covered and cleared to good effect. Conor Murphy for all his good endeavour also found the net for Durlas Óg as he completed the goal tally for his side. Two pointed frees from Bracken and one from play from McKevitt late on were the last scores as referee John Butler blew time on an entertaining contest. 
Mid Bórd na nÓg Chairman, Joe O’Sullivan presented the cup to Durlas Óg captain Dylan Costello with Michael Murphy representing Murphy Office Supplies sponsors of  the championship also in attendance.

Durlas Óg: Rory Fogarty, Ben Murphy, Cillian Donaghy, Dylan Costello (C), Seán Butler, Patrick Scully, Conor Murphy 1-02 (01f), Barry McGrath 02, Michael Mulcaire 1-00, Frank McKevitt 3-02, Fred Crowley, Kevin Bracken 1-03 (02f), Kieran Moloney 2-02, Subs; Shane Stapleton, Jamie Donovan, Cormac Flynn, Arthur Geronimo, Donnacha Byrne, Stephen Dorney, Killian Ryan, Darren Fahy 
Clonakenny; Conor Nesbitt, Adam Slevin, Jack Casey, Seán Maher, Denis Hennessy, Matthew O'Sullivan (C) 3-00, Cain Russell, Ben O'Carroll 3-01, Cian O'Dwyer, Tommy Hennessy, Stephen Ryan, Rory Nolan, Daniel O'Sullivan, Subs; Ciarán Shanahan, Stephen Maher                                                                               

Referee: John Butler (Upperchurch-Drombane)