Latest News‎ > ‎

Match Report - Premier U12 Hurling Final - Durlas Og -v- Moyne/Templetuohy

posted Aug 23, 2012, 10:25 AM by Unknown user
(Mid Bord na nOg Match Report)

Joe O’Sullivan Mini Bus Hire
Premier U12 Hurling Group 4
Durlas Óg 'C' 9-02 Moyne-Templetuohy 'B' 0-04

The opening match of four on the Premier 12 Mini Leagues Festival of Hurling day saw neighbours Durlas Óg and Moyne-Templetuohy square up for the initial days honours. After a close enough first half, the half time substitutions turned the game in Durlas Óg favour as they ran out comprehensive winners in the end. As indicated Durlas Óg didn’t have it all their own way and were indeed played second fiddle for the opening period of the game.
Moyne were first into attack and Padraig Gleeson brought the best out of Daragh Stakelum in the Durlas Óg goal as he turned Gleeson’s shot out for a ’65. Martin Ryan lively and central to the Moyne cause hit over a brace of points in quick succession. There was good intensity in the Moyne-Templetuohy play now and they seemed comfortable.
The first Durlas Óg attack came midway through the half when Niall Dwan saw his shot blocked and cleared. With Conor Stapleton clearing ball out of Durlas Óg defence at ease and Jordan Fahy menacing up front it wasn’t long before Durlas Óg got on the score board. It was Stapleton who was the provider as his long free into the square was only cleared to Cormac Flynn who made no mistake in hitting the net with the games first goal. Moyne came back though and Stapleton was called into action again with a great clearance out of defence. The game was soon all tied up when Padraig Gleeson pointed for Moyne with six minutes of the half remaining. Martin Ryan had a shot at goal well blocked again by Stakelum before Enda Ryan pointed to leave Moyne-Templetuohy ahead by one at the break 0-4 to 1-00.
With a greater change in personnel at half time Moyne-Templetuohy were under severe pressure all through the second half where on the other side the introduction of James Armstrong paid huge dividends for Durlas Óg. He got his first of four goals in the fourth minute of the half and though half blocked it made its way over the line. When Conor Stapleton smashed a twenty metre free to the net on seven minutes the writing was on the wall for Moyne-Templetuohy. What turned out to be a very comfortable victory in the end for Durlas Óg as they increased their goal tally, the attendance was treated to some excellent flashes of skill nonetheless. None more so than Armstrong’s second goal when he doubled on an incoming ball to give John Clarke no chance on the Moyne-Templetuohy line. With the result never in doubt in the second half, referee Edward Costello called a halt to proceedings bang on time.
Conor Stapleton starred throughout for Durlas Óg and was assisted by Cormac Flynn and Jordan Fahy, while James Armstrong stole the show with his second half scoring exploits up front.
Moyne-Templetuohy gave their all and had Pádraig Gleeson starring, with Martin Ryan, Muireann Lloyd prominent in the first half while Lisa Fanning tried hard in the second with John Clarke making some excellent saves and extremely unlucky with a majority of the goals as his cover was marked absent.
Joe O’Sullivan, Mid Bórd na nÓg Chairman, presented the cup to delighted Durlas Óg captain Shane Stapleton and supporters with Jacinta O’Sullivan sponsor also in attendance.


Durlas Óg: Daragh Stakelum, Conor Stapleton 1-00f, Paddy Creedon 0-1, Liam Kenny, Shane Stapleton (C), Cormac Flynn 2-00, David Mawe, Niall Dwan, Donncha Byrne 1-00, Eoghan Ryan, Jordan Fahy 1-00, James Armstrong 4-01.

John Clarke, James Maher, Lisa Fanning, Muireann Lloyd, Pádraig Gleeson (C) 0-1, Martin Ryan 0-2,  Cathal Kelleher, Enda Ryan 0-1, Patrick Buckley, James Dean Fogarty, Conor Collier, Dylan McLoughlin, Caoimhe Everard, J.J. Schoeman, Jack Kelly, James McDonald, Patrick Kiely, Sarah Bourke

Referee: Edward Costello (Drom-Inch)