Latest News‎ > ‎

Match Reports - Mid Under 14 'A' and 'C' Hurling Finals

posted Aug 21, 2013, 1:00 PM by Unknown user   [ updated Aug 21, 2013, 1:02 PM ]
Match Reports by Joe Bracken, Mid Bord na nOg PRO

Spain Family U14A Hurling Final

Durlas Óg 2-07 Moycarkey-Borris 0-08

Thankfully by the time Durlas Óg and Moycarkey-Borris took to the field in Páirc Shileáin, Templemore, for the final of the Spain Family U14A championship weather conditions had improved considerably for this highly anticipated clash. The fine crowd gathered witness a tough, clean encounter with Durlas Óg weathering the Moycarkey storm to emerge relieved winners in the end, holding onto their crown with a five point winning margin.
Imposing themselves from the throw in Durlas Óg were dominant and held the sway in key areas. Aidan Butler was first into the action for them and when he was fouled he duly pointed the resulting free, all inside the opening minute. He did likewise again in the third minute with another placed ball as Moycarkey had yet to form an attack.
Durlas Óg moved Michel Purcell, named at midfield, into full back before the off to keep tabs on the Moycarkey danger man Anthony McKelvy and in the early stages Purcell reigned supreme, fielding great ball and dispatching it out of danger. On the opposite flank to Butler at half forward for Durlas Óg, Jack Croke was causing all sorts of problems with good running and link up play and he soon made it three with the first score from play.
The ‘Borris lads had settled now and were coming more into the game, though their first strike at the posts from a free on the right went wide of its target. Fullback Caolan O’Brien and keeper P.J. Tunstall had to be on their toes in separate occasions to keep the score as it was, O’Brien clearing decisively when called into action.
Purcell again did likewise at the opposite end as the pendulum swung.
It was fifteen minutes before Moycarkey got on the score sheet via the stick of Jack Fallon. Donal Fitzpatrick’s free form the middle broke down to John Kirwan who laid off to Fallon for his opening salvo.
Moycarkey’s backs were also making inroads with Philip Ryan leading the charge at centre back as he drove on his side. Up front Jack Hackett was moving all over the place and he too scored from play, the gap back to one with seven minutes to the break.
Purcell was again called into action to avert danger, but was unable to stop McKelvey levelling affairs as he collected breaking ball from a Ryan sixty five to tie it up with three minutes to go.
Then just on half time a Moycarkey move down the left resulted in a swift ball across the twenty metre line. It looked as though the Durlas Óg backs had it covered but McKelvy arrived in a stealth move to steal the sliothar superbly and dispatch it over the bar for the half time lead, 04 to 03to Moycarkey-Borris.
Plenty of scores in the opening period of the second half saw Durlas Óg go back in front only to be hauled back all square again before they got the decisive break. In the second minute a decent delivery across the square by Jack Croke was met by the diving Darren Fahey who found the net from close range. Referee Tom McGrath had to consult with his umpires before the goal was allowed to stand. From the puck out Jack Fallon collected the ball on the right and showing a clean pair of heels to his marker reduced the deficit to one with arguably the point of the match. McKelvy had it all square a minute later after good work by Darren Flood in creating space.
Parity didn’t last for long though as Liam Power broke loose from the pack and set up Croke who fired to the net after six action packed minutes.
Fallon was on then on target with a fifty metre free but when Fahey put the gap back to three in the fifteenth minute Durlas Óg seemed to be gaining the upper hand. Purcell again was solid at full back and definitely had a huge bearing on the outcome. McKelvy though for his part kept plugging away and had it back to two after working hard across the twenty metre line to create an opening to shoot. Philip Ryan was making forays out of defence too and Moycarkey would probably have profited by moving him further forward to rally his side.
In the remaining five minutes two super points by Croke either side of an Adam Hickey flick over saw Durlas Óg over the line for a deserved win in the end, a win which they were made to work extremely hard for.
Sean Spain representing the Spain Family was on hand with Mid Bórd na nÓg Chairman, Joe O’Sullivan, to present the cup to winning captain Michael Purcell

Durlas Óg; Christopher Carew, Conor O'Hagan, Adam Hickey 01, Sean Barrett, Patrick Moloney, Evan Moore, Jack Bambrick, Anthony Cooney, Michael Purcell (C), Aidan Butler 04 (02f), William Creedon, Jack Croke 1-01, Darren Fahey 1-01, Liam Power, Kieran Moloney, Subs;  Kevin Bracken, Aaron Martin, Seamus Doyle, Shane Fitzpatrick, Adam Derby, Dylan Costello, Fred Crowley, Michael Stakelum, Conor Murphy.  

Moycarkey-Borris; P.J. Tunstall, Philip O'Sullivan, Caolan O'Brien, Michael Murphy, Donal Fitzpatrick, Philip Ryan, Rory Darmody, Jack Fallon 03 (01f), Zach Jackson, John Kirwan, Jack Hackett 01, Shane Maher, Darren Flood, Anthony McKelvy (C) 04, Kieran Kearney, Subs; David O'Donnell, Conor Cummins, James Dillon, Rhys Shelly, Eamonn Martin, Tom Ryan. 

Referee: Tom McGrath – Loughmore-Castleiney.



Doran Oil U14C Hurling Final

                                Durlas Óg 'B' 9-07 Clonakenny 7-04

Those present in the Ragg for the Doan Oil sponsored U14C hurling final were treated to a goal fest as both Durlas Óg and Clonakenny renewed acquaintances once again, having previously contested the football equivalent earlier in the season, with the honours as in the football going to the Thurles lads. But fight for it they had as a second half scoring spree by Matthew O’Sullivan narrowed the margin to five with four minutes left, before a goal and a point from Fred Crowley ensured victory for Durlas Óg, much to the relief of their supporters.
Durlas Óg were straight into the attack from the throw in and never allowed Clonakenny a chance to settle, with Frank McKevitt causing all sorts of problems for the Clonakenny defence.
The opening score came in the fifth minute by Durlas Óg main man in attack Conor Murphy as he pointed from the right. The first of the evenings goals followed shortly, two inside a minute in fact with Rory Fogarty getting his first of three immediately followed by Murphy with his first of three also. Coming on the back of three wides and a sixty five from Durlas Óg, Clonakenny in their first attack at the posts pointed courtesy of a super strike by Tommy Hennessy from tight on the right hand touch line.
Murphy responded with his second goal profiting on an exquisite lay off by Fogarty who had cut in from the right. Not to be outdone Ben O’Carroll then cut through the Durlas defence shooting in flight to the net. Both sides traded points before two more goals in a minute for Durlas Óg, the first from McKevitt who was rewarded for his efforts with a fine goal and then Murphy sealing his hat-trick. With their tails up Durlas Óg kept up the pressure as Fred Crowley scored a smashing point over his shoulder with six minutes left to the break. Fogarty got his second and Durlas Óg sixth goal with a minute of the half remaining, half time score 6-04 to 1-03, a rout looking on the cards.
The second half was four minutes old when Crowley appeared to shoot for a point from outfield but his shot dropped and lobbed the keeper into the goal, daylight growing between the sides. Never panicking Clonakenny stormed back, with Kevin Bracken making two fine stops to keep them at bay. O’Sullivan began his scoring blitz with a point from inside the forty five but still Durlas Óg negated this with 1-01, Fogarty completing his hat-trick.
In the next nine minutes though O’Sullivan turned the game on its head shooting six blistering missiles to the net with pin point accuracy and there was nothing the keeper could do about it. Not alone was O’Sullivan powerful in the strike but his forward momentum was equally as strong as he scorched his way through the Durlas defence in rare abandon.
In scenes reminiscent of Croke Park 2012, two Durlas Óg players were sent to marshal O’Sullivan in an effort to quell his dominance. And it appeared to do the trick as in the nervous remaining minutes Crowley popped up with scores to seal victory for his side.
Comfortable perhaps overall for Durlas Óg and they will know what they have to do go going into a county semi final. With free flowing and scoring forwards in Murphy, Fogarty, Crowley and the industry of McKevitt they have every chance of a county final birth. Clonakenny tried hard and showed tremendous character in taking the fight to Durlas Óg in the second half when all seemed lost. O’Sullivan of course was to the fore but Hennessy and O’Carroll played their part as well, as did Conor Nesbitt and Ciarán Shanahan.
One statistic of interest to note, out of all the scores on the board only two points were from frees, which is a huge credit to both clubs.
Seamus Doran sponsor was then on hand to present the cup with Mid Bórd na nÓg Chairman, Joe O’Sullivan, to Durlas Óg captain Michael Stakelum.

Durlas Óg; Kevin Bracken, Cillian Donaghy, Ben Murphy, Dylan Costello, Seán Butler, Bill Shanahan, Daniel Moloney, Barry McGrath 01f, Fred Crowley 2-03, Michael Stakelum (C), Frank McKevitt 1-00, Conor Murphy 3-03, Rory Fogarty 3-00, Subs; Patrick Bowden, Arthur Geronimo, Michael Mulcahir, Shane Stapleton, Shaun Kennedy, Shane Dunne, Jamie Donovan, Stephen Dorney, Donocha Byrne, Philip Ryan, Killian Ryan.

Clonakenny; Stephen Maher, Stephen Ryan, Jack Casey, Seán Maher, Matthew O’Sullivan 6-02 (01f), Ciarán Shanahan, Cain Russell, Tommy Hennessy (C) 02, Cian O’Dwyer, Ben O’Carroll 1-00, Conor Nesbitt, Daniel O’Sullivan, Denis Hennessy, Sub; Rory Nolan.

Referee: Andy Murray – Upperchurch-Drombane.