Latest News‎ > ‎

posted Jan 5, 2011, 4:32 AM by Unknown user
Match Report - Mid Under 12 Hurling Final


Centenary Co-Op Mid U12A Hurling Final 

Holycross-Ballycahill……………. 2-2 Durlas Óg……………....1-3

Holycross-Ballycahill defeated Durlas Óg in a thrilling Centenary Co-Op Mid U12 ‘A’ hurling final at The Ragg on Sunday. This was a cracking contest between two evenly balanced and well coached teams which produced a most pulsating match for the large attendance.

Scores were hard earned in this match with Durlas Óg holding a slender two points advantage at half time. The decisive scores that changed the course of the game came in a three minute spell midway through the second half when the outstanding Darragh Woods scored two Holycross goals. Durlas Óg tried everything to get back into the game but their only reward was a goal with the Holycross defence excellent in the closing minutes to hold on for a two point victory and win their first Under 12 title since 2007.

Durlas Óg got off to the better start and they had two points on the scoreboard by the third minute. Seosamh Ryan opened the scoring and Mark Purcell added another. It was all Durlas Óg in the opening minutes and it took Holycross a long time to settle and get into their stride. Durlas Óg scored their third point in the 7th minute with Ryan again on target. The only Holycross reply in the first half was a Darragh Woods point in the 15th minute to leave the scoreboard reading Durlas Óg 0-3 Holycross-Ballycahill 0-1 at the interval. There was some great defensive play from both teams in the first half with the blocking and hooking being of the highest standard for such young players.

The opening exchanges of the second half were tense and exciting with both teams missing some good scoring opportunities. The Durlas Óg goalie, Evan McCormack brought off a point blank save from Darragh Woods to deny Holycross a certain goal. Woods who was now operating at full forward was causing problems for the Thurles rearguard and his vision and touch was a delight to watch. It was Woods who got the crucial scores hitting 2-1 in a three minute spell to give his team a 2-2 to 0-3 advantage with ten minutes remaining. The closing stages was edge of the seat stuff with both teams given it their all. Durlas Óg made a number of positional switches as they went in search of scores to get back into the game. Holycross defended in numbers and they pressurised the Durlas Óg forwards which resulted in the Thurles boys striking a number of wides from good scoring positions. The Durlas Óg pressure finally paid off with corner forward Kevin Donnelly scoring a goal to leave two points between the teams and set up a grand stand finish. Holycross held on and Durlas Óg were still on the attack when referee, Kevin Butler blew the full time whistle.

Both teams are to be complimented on serving up such a thrilling final and all players involved contributed to a memorable contest. Holycross-Ballycahill will be well pleased with this win and as already mentioned Darragh Woods was their top scorer and star performer. Holycross had other impressive players in James Ryan and Gavin Dunne in defence, midfielders Bryn O’Meara and Stephen Flanagan were most prominent while Niall Condon and David Croke also caught the eye.

Durlas Óg were bitterly disappointed at the full time whistle as despite a gallant effort they just came up short in the end. Centre back, Bill Darcy was outstanding throughout the game and his catching and striking were most impressive. They had other notable performances from Harry Fitzgibon and Michael Purcell in defence, Matthew Kelly particularly in the first half at midfield and Seosamh Ryan and Mark Purcell in attack.

Holycross-Ballycahill : Cormac O’Connor; Edward O’Gorman, Daniel Mathews, Colin Nolan; James Ryan, Gavin Dunne, David Croke; Bryn O’Meara, Stephen Flanagan; Niall Condon, Fionn McCartan, Darragh Woods (2-2); Sean Stakelum, Philip Fogarty, Sean Spillane. Sub: Alex Murphy.

Durlas Óg : Evan McCormack; Harry Fitzgibbon, Keith O’Dwyer, Conor O’Hagan; Jason Jordan, Bill Darcy, Michael Purcell; Matthew Kelly, Conor Stakelum; Seosamh Ryan (0-2), Loran O’Toole, Eoin Hickey; Gavin Wright, Mark Purcell (0-1), Kevin Donnelly (1-0).

Referee : Kevin Butler (Drom-Inch)