Mid Under 12 'C' Hurling Final
(Match Report by John Smith, Mid Bord na nOg PRO)


Durlas Óg ‘B’.......................3-5 
Clonakenny ........................3-2

The Mid Under 12 ‘C’ hurling final (kindly sponsored by Sean Fogarty) was a most exciting contest at Templetuohy on Saturday with Durlas Óg snatching victory with two late goals against a gallant Clonakenny team that staged a great second half comeback.

Clonakenny who trailed by five points at the interval produced a storming second half display that featured three goals. They led by two points with minutes remaining but Durlas Óg somehow produced a response and they had the sliothar in the Clonakenny net twice in as many minutes to snatch victory.

Both teams exchanged points in the opening ten minutes with Darragh Coffey pointing a free for Durlas Óg and Eoin Bourke replying for Clonakenny. The decisive score of the first half came in the 12th minute when a shot from Darragh Coffey from 40 metres went all the way to the Clonakenny net for a Durlas Óg goal. Durlas Óg dominated the remainder of the half scoring points through Shane Lanigan Ryan and Conor Stakelum to lead by 1-3 to 0-1 at the interval.

Whatever was said to the Clonakenny team at half time certainly had the desired effect as they came out and attacked from the throw in. Liam Quigley goaled and then Diarmuid Ryan struck another goal to give Clonakenny the lead with five minutes of the second half played. Durlas Óg didn’t panic and Darragh Coffey pointed a free to level the match and the same player gave Durlas Óg the lead when he expertly struck a sideline ball over the crossbar from all of 30 metres. Clonakenny came back again and Diarmuid Ryan scored a great individual goal to edge his team in front (3-1 to 1-5) with five minutes remaining. This looked to be the winning score. Durlas Óg had other ideas and in a pulsating finish they scored two goals. Shane Lanigan Ryan found the net following great play from Keith Cahill and no sooner had the sliothar been pucked out and Darragh Coffey had the ball in the back of the Clonakenny net again to leave four points between the teams. Clonakenny narrowed the gap when Diarmuid Ryan pointed a free but time was not on their side and Durlas Óg were relieved to hear the final whistle.

Durlas Óg showed great character to win this game and they fought to the very end. Darragh Coffey was their top marksman with 2-3 in a great all round display and they had other notable performances from Michael Wade, Michael Purcell, Conor Stakelum, Shane Lanigan Ryan and Keith Cahill.

Clonakenny gave it their best and they had top class displays from Diarmuid Ryan who was always prominent and finished with a personal tally of 2-1, John O’Meara, Brian Shanahan, Liam Quigley and Eoin Bourke.

Teams and scorers:

Durlas Óg ‘B’ : Sean Dwan; Harry Fitzgibbon, Jamie Curtis; Michael Wade, Robbie Hanrahan, Jeff O’Reilly; Michael Purcell, Matthew Kelly; Conor Stakelum (0-1), Darragh Coffey (2-3), Keith Cahill; Shane Lanigan Ryan (1-1), Mark Purcell. Substitute: Kieran Keane.

Clonakenny : Thomas Costigan; De Lacy Byrne, John O’Meara; Eoin Nesbitt, Brian Shanahan, Conor Shanahan; Liam Quigley (1-0), Niall Maher; Kevin Carr, Eoin Bourke (0-1), Cathal Stapleton; Diarmuid Ryan (2-1), Jordan Doyle. Substitutes: Jack Smith, Thomas Nolan.

Referee : Pat Cullen (Loughmore-Castleiney)