Durlas Óg ………………………..... 7-9

Moyne-Templetuohy …………….1-4

Durlas Óg proved too strong for Moyne-Templetuohy in the Centenary Co-Op Under 16 ‘A’ football final at Templemore on Monday. A physically stronger Durlas Óg side were always in command and despite the gallant efforts of the Moyne side the result was never in doubt.

A combination of inaccurate shooting by the Durlas Óg forwards and some excellent defending by the Moyne backs ensured that very little separated the teams for most of the first half and it was not until the final quarter of the match thanks to a four goal blitz that the Thurles side pulled away from their opponents to win convincingly. Corner forward, Aidan McCormack gave a top class display of marksmanship and finished with a personal tally of 3-3, all from play.

The early exchanges were keenly contested with Moyne-Templetuohy defending the town goals in the first half. Durlas Óg’s centre forward, Michael Russell kicked two points in the opening five minutes with corner forward, Aidan McCormack also pointing from an acute angle. Moyne’s first score came in the 12th minute when following a good exchange of passing Gary Moore kicked over a point. The decisive score of the half arrived in the 15th minute when Gary Lanigan won possession from a Moyne kickout and passed to Michael Russell who then found Aidan McCormack on the edge of the square and he made no mistake for a Durlas Óg goal. Minutes later Gary Lanigan’s rasping shot came back off the crossbar and then Moyne-Templetuohy goalie, Aidan Kelly who had an outstanding game brought off a brilliant save from a Patrick Dunne effort. Durlas Óg were controlling the game with Stephen Maher rock solid at centre back and Denis Maher dominating at midfield. The Moyne backs were under much pressure but James Butler and Liam Butler in the central of their defence were very prominent and cut off many a Durlas Óg attack. The Thurles side finished the half by kicking three points through Aidan McCormack (2) and Denis Maher while Martin Kelly had a Moyne point to leave the scoreboard at half time Durlas Óg 1-6 Moyne-Templetuohy 0-2.

Both Denis Maher and Michael Russell kicked Durlas Óg points in the opening minutes of the second half. The score of the match came in the 38th minute when Michael Russell won possession on his own 45 metre line and following a delightful exchange of passing involving Shane Dempsey, Aidan McCormack and Philip Purcell the ball was off loaded to full forward, Gary Lanigan who finished to the corner of the net for Durlas Og’s second goal. The game was over as a contest two minutes later when Durlas Óg’s Aidan McCormack goaled following good work by Gary Lanigan. Moyne-Templetuohy battled very hard to get back into the match and they were rewarded when Liam Butler soloed through the Durlas Óg defence and passed to centre forward, Diarmuid Fogarty who was now coming more into the game and his shot gave Luke Treacy in the Durlas Óg goal no chance. The final ten minutes saw four Durlas Óg goals. The first was scored by substitute, Tommy Doyle with his first touch of the ball. Aidan McCormack who always has an eye for a score hit the second with substitute, Aidan Loughnane and corner forward, Philip Purcell being the other goal scorers. Liam Ryan and John Leahy had consolation points for Moyne with Aidan Loughnane completing the scoring with a Durlas Óg point.

This was a very good all round display by Durlas Óg and they will be well pleased with this victory. The team improved with every match and they were worthy winners. Their mentors will be concerned with the number of wides, ten in the first half, and in a closer match these would have proved costly. Stephen Maher was always prominent in defence and he was ably assisted by David Maher and Cian Treacy. Denis Maher and Rory O’Shea were dominant at midfield. Michael Russell led the attack and he was well supported by Philip Purcell and top scorer, Aidan McCormack.

Moyne-Templetuohy were bitterly disappointed with the result as they are a better team than the scoreline suggests. The occasion appears to have got to some of their players and they played below par. They had notable performances from James Butler, Liam Butler, John Leahy, Diarmuid Fogarty and Paul Burke while Aidan Kelly was an excellent goalie that brought off many great saves.

Teams and scorers:

Durlas Óg : Luke Treacy; Donal O’Gorman, David Maher, Robert Murphy; Sean Moroney, Stephen Maher, Cian Treacy; Denis Maher (0-2), Rory O’Shea; Shane Dempsey, Michael Russell (0-3), Patrick Dunne; Philip Purcell (1-0), Gary Lanigan (1-0), Aidan McCormack (3-3). Substitutes used: Aidan Loughnane (1-1), Tommy Doyle (1-0), Brian Keane and Mark Lanigan.

Moyne-Templetuohy : Aidan Kelly; Tom Meade, James Butler, Matthew Burke; Ronan Fannong, Liam Butler, Jason Bergin; John Leahy (0-1), Paul Burke; Dylan O’Halloran; Diarmuid Fogarty (1-0), James Moloney; Gary Moore (0-1), Liam Ryan (0-1), Martin Kelly (0-1). Substitutes used: Pierce Meade, Ryan Sweeney, Donnacha Dunne, Liam Kelly and Tony Cantwell.

Referee : Michael Jordan (Drom-Inch)