Durlas Óg …………………….. 3-22 

Durlas Óg recorded their sixth title in a row following a masterful second display to overcome Moycarkey-Borris in the Kevin Darmody Ltd. Mid Under 16 ‘A’ hurling final at Boherlahan on Saturday.

The strong wind played a major part in this game and Moycarkey who had wind advantage in the first half led by a point at the interval. They should have been further in front at the break as they missed at least two good goal scoring opportunities and they also struck eight wides in the opening period. Durlas Óg dominating the second half and they picked off some great scores to run out convincing winners.

This final was eagerly awaited and the opening exchanges were tough and uncompromising with Moycarkey starting in impressive fashion. Pat Molloy pointed a free inside the first minute and two minutes later Moycarkey should have goaled but the Thurles defence somehow cleared their lines. Darragh Ronayne had Durlas Og’s first score when he pointed in the 7th minute but this was cancelled by a fine effort from Pat Molloy. Molloy and Cathal Bergin were causing many problems for the Durlas Óg defence in the opening ten minutes. Durlas Óg gradually began to settle and they scored three unanswered points through Tommy Doyle, Michael Russell and Aidan McCormack (free) to lead by 0-4 to 0-2 at the end of the first quarter.

Pat Ralph reduced the deficit with a Moycarkey point but Durlas Óg again increased their advantage with points from McCormack (3) and Cian Treacy with Cathal Bergin pointing for Moycarkey to leave four between the teams as half time approached. Moycarkey were unlucky not to have been closer as Peter Kinnane saw his effort in the 26th minute come back off the upright with the Durlas Og 'keeper David Corbett beaten.  Moycarkey finished the half impressively with Mossie Bracken scoring a great goal in the 30th minute and Pat Molloy added two points, one from a free to give his team a one point lead (1-6 to 0-8) at the interval.

The good sized attendance awaited the second half and with little separating the teams in the opening half another pulsating 30 minutes of hurling was anticipated. This was not to be as Durlas Óg upped the tempo and took control of the game from the throw in. Cian Treacy pointed to level the match and Aidan McCormack added another to give the Thurles side the lead. Treacy scored a cracking goal in the 35th minute following good work by wing back David Maher to leave four points between the teams. McCormack pointed a Durlas Óg free before Robert Murphy goaled following a move involving Treacy and Philip Purcell. Durlas Óg now held a commanding 2-12 to 1-6 lead as the match entered the final quarter. Moycarkey were finding it difficult to get the ball into their forwards as the Durlas Óg half back line of Shane Dempsey, Denis Maher and David Maher were on top of their game while Michael Russell and Darragh Ronayne were winning the midfield battle. Durlas Óg added an impressive tally of 1-10 in the final quarter to a solitary point for Moycarkey. Aidan McCormack scored 1-5, his goal coming with the last puck of the match when his ‘65’ went all the way to the net. Tommy Doyle hit two points with Philip Purcell, Cian Treacy and a massive effort from Denis Maher from inside his own half all adding a point each. Pat Ralph was the Moycarkey scorer. Durlas Óg goalie David Corbett brought off a magnificent save near the end from a point blank shot from Pat Molloy. It was Durlas Óg’s day and when referee Jimmy Sweeney blew the full time whistle the Thurles side had recorded a fabulous six in a row of titles in this grade.

Durlas Óg will be pleased with this victory especially their second half display. They have a very evenly balanced side from 1 to 15. A feature of their performance was that all the forwards, midfielders and their centre back got on the scoresheet. Aidan McCormack was their top scorer with 1-11 and his accuracy from placed balls and from play was impeccable. Denis Maher was very prominent at centre back and he was ably assisted by Shane Dempsey, David Maher and Rory O’Shea. As stated all the forwards and midfielders got on the scoresheet but particularly prominent were Cian Treacy, Philip Purcell and Mark Lanigan especially in the first half.

Moycarkey-Borris were bitterly disappointed with their second half performance as they really put it up to the holders in the first half and if they had taken their chances they would have been further in front at the break. They had no answer to Durlas Óg in the second half. They had notable performances from James Power, Eolan McCarthy, Mossie Bracken, Cathal Bergin and Pat Ralph while Pat Molloy was their most consistent player throughout the sixty minutes.

Teams and scorers:

Durlas Óg : David Corbett; Patrick Dunne, Rory O’Shea, Donal O’Gorman; Shane Dempsey, Denis Maher (0-1), David Maher; Michael Russell (0-1), Darragh Ronayne (0-1); Tommy Doyle (0-3), Robert Murphy (1-0), Philip Purcell (0-1); Cian Treacy (1-2), Aidan McCormack (1-11), Mark Lanigan (0-2). Substitutes: Aidan Loughnane, Jamie Stapleton, James Morrissey.

Moycarkey-Borris : Micheal Bryan; James Power, Brian Butler, Stephen Kirwan; John Bergin, Joseph O’Sullivan, Eolan McCarthy; Mossie Bracken (1-0) Garry O’Connell; Niall O’Sullivan, Cathal Bergin (0-1), Pat Ralph (0-2); Ailbe Power, Pat Molloy (0-4), Peter Kinnane. Substitutes: Jeff Fallon, Donal Bergin, James O’Gorman.

Referee : Jimmy Sweeney (Loughmore-Castleiney).